Close this search box.

How to Change Name on the Passport

In a world where personal identity is paramount, the need to change one’s name on official documents such as passports can arise for various reasons. Whether it’s due to marriage, divorce, or simply a desire for a new identity, the process can initially seem daunting. However, with the right information and guidance, changing your name on your passport can be a straightforward and manageable task. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the intricacies of using a Deed Poll for a name change on your passport, offering step-by-step instructions and valuable insights to ensure a smooth transition.

Understanding Deed Poll Name Change

What is a Deed Poll?

A Deed Poll is a legal document used to officially change a person’s name. It serves as evidence of a change of name and is recognized by various government institutions, including passport authorities. Unlike a common-law name change, which involves simply using a new name consistently, a Deed Poll provides a formal and legally recognized method for changing one’s name.

Why Choose a Deed Poll for Name Change?

There are several reasons why individuals opt for a Deed Poll when changing their names:

Legal Recognition:

A Deed Poll provides legal recognition of the name change, ensuring that it is accepted by government agencies, financial institutions, and other official bodies.

Accepted by Authorities:

Passport authorities, in particular, require official documentation to process a name change on a passport. A Deed Poll fulfills this requirement and ensures smooth processing.

Clarity and Certainty:

By obtaining a Deed Poll, individuals can have clarity and certainty regarding their changed name, reducing potential confusion or complications in the future.


Compared to other methods of name change, such as statutory declaration or marriage certificate, obtaining a Deed Poll is often a more cost-effective option.

Steps to Change Name on Passport using Deed Poll

Research and Preparation

Before embarking on the name change process, it’s essential to conduct thorough research and gather all necessary documents. Start by familiarizing yourself with the requirements of the passport authority regarding name changes. This may include providing proof of identity, such as a birth certificate or current passport, as well as the Deed Poll document itself.

Obtain a Deed Poll

Applying for a Deed Poll

There are various methods for obtaining a Deed Poll:

Online Services:

Many online services specialize in providing Deed Poll documents. These services often offer convenience and accessibility, allowing you to complete the process from the comfort of your own home. Ensure that the online provider is reputable and recognized by passport authorities.


Alternatively, you can choose to consult a solicitor or legal professional Deed Poll Name Change who specializes in name change procedures. While this may involve additional costs, it can provide reassurance and expert guidance throughout the process.

Completing the Deed Poll Document

Once you’ve obtained the Deed Poll document, you’ll need to complete it accurately:

Current Name:

Provide your current legal name as it appears on your existing passport or other official documents.

New Name:

Clearly state the new name that you wish to adopt. Ensure that the new name is spelled correctly and accurately reflects your desired identity.


Sign the Deed Poll document in the presence of a witness. The witness must also sign the document and provide their full name, address, and occupation.

Notify Relevant Authorities

After obtaining the Deed Poll document, it’s important to notify relevant authorities of your name change:

Passport Authority:

Submit your Deed Poll document to the passport authority along with any additional required documentation. This typically involves completing a passport renewal application form and providing proof of identity, such as your current passport and Deed Poll document.

Other Government Agencies:

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to notify other government agencies of your name change. This could include the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs), and the electoral register.

Financial Institutions:

Inform your bank, credit card providers, and any other financial institutions of your name change to ensure that your accounts and records are updated accordingly.

Update Personal Records

In addition to notifying official authorities, it’s important to update your personal records and inform relevant parties of your name change:


Notify your employer of your name change to ensure that your payroll records, email address, and any other relevant documentation are updated.

Educational Institutions:

If you’re currently enrolled in educational programs, such as school or university, inform the relevant institutions of your name change to update their records.

Healthcare Providers:

Notify your doctor, dentist, and any other healthcare providers of your name change to ensure that your medical records are accurate and up to date.

Changing your name on your passport using a Deed Poll may seem like a complex process at first glance, but with the right guidance, it can be a relatively straightforward and manageable task. By following the steps outlined in this guide and ensuring that all necessary documentation is obtained and submitted correctly, you can successfully navigate the name change process and embark on a new chapter with your chosen identity. Remember to stay organized, communicate effectively with relevant authorities, and seek professional assistance if needed. With determination and attention to detail, you can achieve a smooth and seamless transition to your new name on your passport.

Picture of Admin


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *